Work harder, do more, give more, sacrifice, use your own resources – these have all been touted as advice for successful teachers and principals, but times have changed. Success is not about how you endure, success is about how you recharge as a professional.
Recharging as a professional is taking care of you and your passion for your career. The emotional stress that educators face is tremendous.
Recharging can mean purposeful breaks or intentional investments. Yes, a purposeful break – take a day off during that long month. Spend half of the day completing unattended personal tasks, and spend the other half doing something you love to do.
Intentional investments can recharge and help you repurpose a commitment or two.
- Attend a conference that you normally wouldn’t attend.
- Join a professional network.
- Read a professional book that focuses on balance and passion.
Here are a few professional books that we recommend:
- The Well-Balanced Teacher: How to Work Smarter and Stay Sane
- Stress-Busting Strategies for Teachers
- Relentless: Changing Lives by Disrupting the Educational Norm
hbr.org – As constant travelers and parents of a 2-year-old, we sometimes fantasize about how much work we can do when one of us gets on a plane, undistracted by phones, friends, and Finding Nemo. We race to g…
Tweeted by @latoyadixon5